22 °C
72 °F
22 °C
72 °F
25 °C
77 °F
Chance of RainSun
24 °C
76 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Tuesday October 21st, 2014

Posted at 8:57pm

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!

This article is 1340 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

A local property developer has been fined $100,000 for failing to comply with a ministry order involving asbestos waste.

In 2006, Grace Village Windsor Inc. became the sole owner of the former Grace Hospital site and in 2007, the company was contracted to build a long term care facility at the site.

In 2009, it was cautioned by the Ministry of Labour that asbestos could possibly be in the structure of the building. After demolition work began the project came to a halt.

In 2011, due to a lack of progress with the project, Grace Village Windsor Inc. lost the contract to build the care facility. The City of Windsor then issued an order for the company to retain an environmental consultant to verify that there was asbestos or other hazardous products on the property and abate it.

Following the city’s order, ministry staff conducted an inspection and issued a ministry order to retain a qualified consultant,to ensure that no asbestos was discharged offsite, to properly remove asbestos waste from the property and report findings among other requirements.

Grace Village Windsor Inc. hired a consultant who inspected the site and reported to the ministry that there was no asbestos on the property. In December 2011, the consultant requested and was granted an extension of the ministry order.

Due to the delay in complying with the order, Ministry of Environment and Climate Change staff contacted the Ministry of Labour who collected samples, which tested positive for asbestos. In February, 2012 the ministry was advised that the consultant was no longer working for Grace Village Windsor Inc.

The company pleaded guilty to four offences and was fined a total of $100,000 plus victim fine surcharges of $25,000 and was given 180 days to pay the fine.

The site has since been cleaned up and is now owned by the City of Windsor.

Do You Like This Article?