Mostly CloudyNow
20 °C
68 °F
25 °C
77 °F
20 °C
68 °F
25 °C
77 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Tuesday October 1st, 2013

Posted at 10:04am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!

This article is 1724 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.


Windsor Police have two 18-year-olds in custody after a cab driver was beaten over the weekend.

On Sunday September 29th at around 3:15am, Windsor Police on patrol heard a continuous horn sounding from the Southeast corner of Ouellette Avenue and Chatham Street. Officers saw a cab stopped on the South side of Chatham facing Westbound.

Police witnessed a male on the sidewalk being assaulted by two suspects.

As officers approached, the two suspects were standing over the victim and one of the suspects proceeded to “stomp” the victim. The suspects observed the approaching police vehicle and began to flee the area. An officer in the police vehicle exited, and gave chase on foot. They ran towards University Avenue in the alley and then towards Park Street. At Park Street they turned West and began to run towards Ouellette Avenue. The officer was able to gain physical control of the suspect he observed stomp the victim. The suspect was placed under arrest without incident and placed under arrest for Assault Bodily Harm. The second male suspect fled the area.

Police say the cabbie was operating his cab in the downtown area when 3 males flagged him down and were asking to be taken to South Windsor. Inside the cab the males became belligerent towards the driver and were arguing with him over a request for a deposit before he would take them where they wanted to go. The 3 males decided to exit the cab.

Police say one of them threw a can of soda at the victim striking him in the head. The victim exited his cab briefly and yelled at the 3 males, returned to his cab and drove away.

The victim drove his cab and stopped for a red light at Chatham Street and Ouellette Avenue. The 3 suspects presented themselves again and began to shout and swear at the victim. He exited his cab and police say he recalls nothing after that point.

The victim was transported to hospital by ambulance for non life threatening injuries. His injuries include lacerations to his upper lip both inside and outside and a concussion, diagnosed after a CT scan.

The 18 year old suspect faces charges of Assault Bodily Harm

The second suspect was identified through investigation and police say he turned himself in this morning. He is also 18 and faces charges of Assault Bodily Harm.

Both accused have a court date later this month.

Do You Like This Article?