Woman Tasered After Ripping Wiper Blade Off Police Cruiser

Thursday February 7th, 2013

Posted at 1:54pm

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hello time traveller!!

This article is 2051 days old.

The information listed below is likely outdated and has been preserved for archival purposes.

A 27-year-old Windsor woman is facing a criminal charge of mischief under $5000 as a result of an incident that occurred in front of an apartment building in the 500 block of Aylmer Avenue shortly after 4pm, Wednesday.

Police say that they attended an apartment in the building at 3:28pm, and were speaking with the female resident, and that during the course of their interaction with the female resident, she became increasingly agitated. Police say that she then suddenly ran from the apartment and onto the street in front of the building. The female proceeded to kick and attempt to rip various pieces of equipment off from the outside of a police cruiser parked in front of the building.

Officers approached the female and ordered her to stop damaging the vehicle, but she did not comply and continued to display agitated and erratic behaviour. Officers then advised the female she was under arrest, but they say that at this point the female was successful in ripping off a wiper blade assembly from the police car.

The female repeatedly struck the police car with the wiper blade assembly, then began to advance across the street toward officers while swinging the wiper blade in their direction. After disobeying repeated commands to stop and drop the object, a Sergeant on scene deployed a Taser, which was successful in stopping the advancing female, and caused her to immediately drop the wiper blade. While incapacitated by the effects of the Taser the female suspect fell downwards to the ground, causing the side of her face to contact the nearby cement curb. Officers then advanced and were able to gain control of the female, at which time they provided first aid and requested that ambulance attend the scene.

The female suspect was transported to hospital to have her injuries assessed. Due to the unknown extent of the injuries involved, police contacted the provincial Special Investigations Unit to advise them of the circumstances of the arrest.

Following medical assessment, the female was treated for two small cuts and was released from hospital, and the police again contacted the Special Investigations Unit and outlined the nature of the injuries, at which point SIU officials advised they would not be invoking their mandate to investigate.

The female suspect was released from police custody and will be returning to face the charge of Mischief in court on March 26th, 2013.

Do You Like This Article?