Partly CloudyNow
1 °C
34 °F
Chance of RainMon
4 °C
39 °F
Partly CloudyTue
6 °C
43 °F
Partly CloudyWed
-1 °C
31 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Tuesday January 20th, 2015

Posted at 6:10pm

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Windsor Police bomb disposal robot is seen at the tunnel’s CBSA processing room (Photos by Owen Wolter)

Last updated: Thursday May 14th, 1:08pm

Windsor Police have charged two Michigan men after Tuesday’s suspicious package incident at the border.

Police closed the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel in both directions during the 5 o’clock hour after border services agents discovered a suspicious package while inspecting a vehicle.

Police media officer Sgt. Matthew D’Asti said the two Michigan men drove to Canada and were referred for secondary inspection.  During the secondary inspection, a bag was discovered to contain a suspicious device.

The entire tunnel and its plazas were evacuated around 5:45pm.

The Windsor Police Explosives Disposal Unit was called in to investigate the package.  They deployed a robot with an onboard camera in order to get close to the package safely.  Investigation has revealed that the bag contained an unmarked cardboard cylinder with a fuse attached.

Police say they are satisfied that the device is consistent in structure as being a commercial grade smoke bomb or smoke grenade.  These types of devices emit a thick cloud of smoke when ignited.

Officers also located brass knuckles, a switchblade knife, and a butterfly knife inside the vehicle.

The two suspects are expected to appear in court this afternoon in relation to weapons charges.

A 29 year old man from Clarkston Michigan is charged with 3 counts of Possession of a Prohibited Weapon and 3 counts of Importing a Prohibited Weapon into Canada.

A 17 year old Michigan youth is charged with Possession of a Prohibited Weapon and Importing a Prohibited Weapon into Canada.

The tunnel was re-opened to vehicular traffic shortly before 9pm after the area was deemed secure.






Do You Like This Article?