The region’s first double-lane roundabout opens to traffic on Monday and Parkway authorities want you to know how to navigate it safely.
The new roundabout will connect Highway 401 on/off ramps, Highway 3 and the Howard Avenue Diversion (County Road 9).
Here are a number of rules for how to safely navigate the new traffic circle:
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout. Keep to the right of the Splitter Island.
- Use the correct lane for your intended destination.
- Pay special attention to pedestrians who may be crossing the roadway. (Note: the Parkway roundabout does not include pedestrian crosswalks.)
- Watch for vehicles already in the roundabout.
- Traffic in the roundabout always has the right-of-way. Entering vehicles must always yield.
- Enter the roundabout when there is an adequate gap in the circulating traffic.
- In the roundabout, keep to the right of the Central Island and travel in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Do not stop, pass large vehicles or change lanes within the roundabout.
- Use your right-turn signal when exiting the roundabout.
- If you miss your exit, continue around the roundabout again and exit.
For detailed instructions, check out this PDF created by the Parkway team.