Mostly CloudyNow
25 °C
77 °F
Partly CloudyFri
25 °C
77 °F
Chance of RainSat
27 °C
80 °F
ClearSun
29 °C
84 °F
Send Us A News Tip

Sunday September 23rd, 2012

Posted at 12:06am

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Windsor firefighters have extinguished a large blaze at the corner of Tecumseh Road East and Benjamin Street after an auto body shop exploded several times.

Fire officials say that they received dozens of 911 calls stating that a building had exploded and was fully engulfed in flames.

Upon arrival, firefighters found the building fully involved with fire and were met with heavy smoke blowing across Tecumseh Road.

Despite early reports, the adjacent Petro Canada gas station was not involved in this incident.

Enwin Utilities was called to the scene to deal with downed power lines behind the building.

Several dozen onlookers watched as firefighters attacked the flames but the building was largely burnt-out and devoid of combustible material within mere minutes. Witnesses told windsoriteDOTca that they heard three-to-four loud explosions occur while the building was visibly on fire.

It’s unclear at this time exactly how the fire started however a broken natural gas line inside the building forced firefighters to evacuate until Union Gas could shut off gas lines from a distance.

There are no injuries to report.

Windsor Police have Tecumseh Road blocked off between Parent and Pierre and are routing traffic north around the area.

Police and fire officials are investigating.

Do You Like This Article?