Windsor’s old Downtown Beer Store on Wyandotte Street East is no more.
After moving to a new home at Goyeau and Elliott, the old location was demolished Monday and Tuesday to make way for improvements to the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel plaza.
City of Windsor Administrators approved a finalized design for the new plaza in March which will include a queueing area for heavy traffic.
Goyeau Street will be permanently closed between Park and Wyandotte.
The project includes:
- new car access routes
- new plaza buildings for Canada Border Services Agency and a tunnel maintenance building
- additional car inspection lanes and Nexus lanes
- moving a City of Windsor Permit Parking lot to the location of the old Beer Store
Outside of the plaza work includes:
- Closure of Goyeau Street between Park Street and Wyandotte Street (to become part of the extended plaza area)
- Reconfigure City Hall Square to two-way traffic
- Reconfigure Park Street to two-way traffic between Goyeau Street and City Hall Square
- Reconfigure ‘Lot 10’ Permit Parking (southeast corner of Park Street and Goyeau Street)
- Gateway landscaping at the main access at Goyeau Street / Wyandotte Street
Additional demolition will take place near the plaza in the coming months.