This weekend, two catholic Churches in West Windsor will hold their last Sunday services.
Blessed Sacrament Church on Queen Street and Prince Road in the far west end first opened in October of 1937 to serve a few hundred families who felt cut off from Assumption Church. The church cost $9,929 to build at the time. Over the years attendance has dropped, and the Roman Catholic Diocese of London announced a few years back that the church would close forever in June of 2012.
Holy Name of Mary Church on McEwan Street will also celebrate its last Sunday mass this weekend. The Church was founded on May 17th 1917 and was originally called Our Lady of Prompt Succour. The first church was located at the corner of Curry and Martin Avenues. The current church was built in 1927.
Parishioners from both churches will join Assumption Church. Assumption Church will then be the only Catholic church left in the west end.