Windsor Fire and Rescue Services are urging families to be especially vigilant about fire safety over the holiday season, which is one of the deadliest times of the year for home fires.
“This is a very busy time for many people and it’s easy to get distracted or forgetful,” said Fire Chief Bruce Montone. “All it takes is for a pot to be left on the stove, or a candle left burning unattended, and a family’s holiday celebrations can go up in smoke.”
“I would also like to remind everyone about the law requiring working smoke alarms on every story and outside all sleeping areas,” continued Chief Montone. “Take a few minutes to test your smoke alarms and install new batteries, if needed.”
Enjoy a fire safe holiday season by following these tips:
- Cooking is a major cause of home fires, so don’t leave the kitchen if there’s something cooking on the stove. If a pot catches fire, don’t try to move it. Cover the pot with a lid to smother the flames and turn off the burner.
- If the smoke alarm activates when you’re cooking, do not remove the batteries. Try moving the smoke alarm, or install an alarm with a hush feature.
- Lit candles should be placed in sturdy candle holders that won’t tip and covered with a glass shade. Candles should be situated away from children, pets and any combustible items.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Drink responsibly and keep an eye on those who do not. Excessive alcohol consumption is a contributing factor in many residential fires.
- Install working smoke alarms on every story of the home and outside all sleeping areas. It’s the law! Failure to comply with the smoke alarm law can result in a ticket for $235 or a fine of up to $50,000.