The Photographer says:
This is the abandoned dance hall at Boblo Island.
This 50,000 sq, ft, dance pavilion was designed by Detroit architect Albert Khan and included an interior balcony. Constructed of steel and stone, the east side of the building features a tall cathedral like glass wall. It is bordered by two rectangular stone towers with windows and topped by flag poles.
Construction was started in 1912 and was completed in time for the opening of the park’s 1913 season. The building housed the largest dance floor in North America until the Crystal Ballroom was opened at Crystal Beach. Entertainment included performers from Guy Lombardo to Elvis.
Boblo Island, originally names Bois Blanc (White Woods in French) opened as a Park in 1898. Boblo Island is an Island in the Detroit River located directly west of Amherstburg, Ontario, on the Canadian side of the border. The Park which eventually became Boblo Amusement Park got its first ride, the 178 48-animal Mangels-Illions Carousel. A few seasons after WWII, passport requirements for Canadians were dropped with the re-commencement of a ferry from the Canadian Shore, from Amherstburg, Ontario. The Island remained opened as an Amusement Park until it was sold at auction on February 10, 1993 and saw its final season end on September 30, 1993. By August 1994 the mainly empty land was sold for $4.2 million to developer John Oram, who is building luxury homes, a golf course, shops and restaurants on Boblo’s former site. The Island’s north end already is occupied by several homes and a new highrise condominium which is on the west side of the Island close to the current ferry dock. The Island has a great history of its growth as an Amusement Park accessed by ferry by both Canadians and Americans.
Take a look at the windsoriteDOTca flickr pool and submit photos of your own for the chance to be featured as our photo of the day!