The history of City Hall Square can be found in the Windsor Heritage Garden which has four fountains commemorating four phases in the development of Windsor’s Civic Square:
French Farms c1750
While aboriginal peoples inhabited this area for thousands of years, French families started to settle here in the mid 1700s, clearing the land for farms and constructing homes.
Windsor Barracks Square – 1840
The Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837-38 and the Fenian Raids of 1866 led to improved defenses all along the American border including the construction of military barracks on this site in 1840 and 1866.
Central School Square – 1871
In 1871 the Windsor High School moved temporarily into the military barracks while construction commenced on a fine new school on this site that later housed both elementary and high school classes.
City Hall Square – 1903
The school building on this site was used as City Hall from 1903 until 1956 when it was torn down to make room for the 1958 building now standing.