Severe storms moved through the Windsor area last night. Numerous areas of the city were without power, and hundreds of trees came down as high winds, hail and torrential downpours were reported in the area.
Several windsoriteDOTca readers reported flooded basements, trees down in their neighbourhoods and power lines shooting sparks into the air. At least one small building fire was directly caused by a lightning strike from the storm.
Citizens, forced outside by a power outage, took to the intersection of Erie Street W. and Bruce to stop motorists from driving over downed power lines, and homeowners on Edinborough Street stood outside, amazed that a hydro transformer was sitting on their roof.
EnWin utilities estimated around 16,000 customers were without power as storm clouds rolled out of the area last night.
Some damage reports we received last night included:
- persons rescued from an elevator after power outage on Riverside Drive East (Riverside Area)
- two trees fell onto a car dealership lot on Tecumseh East and Meldrum (East Central)
- residents came together to direct traffic on Bruce before Caroline Street – trees and lines down (Downtown)
- high voltage lines sparking on George Avenue (Near East)
- tree on fire on Grove Avenue (West Windsor)
- Sewer smell throughout the west end, still waiting for reports from City re. Lou Romano Sewage Plant (West Winds0r)
- Numerous trees and lines down in Midtown Windsor (Bruce, Victoria, Janette) (Midtown Windsor)
- Studio 4 Adult Entertainment – fire on roof (West End)
- Siding ripped off a building in the 3300 block of Walker Road
- Wellington Street closed between University and Wyandotte for trees down (West End)
- Power out in much of South Windsor (areas South of Eugenie/CPR Tracks)
- Hydro pole / transformer on roof of house (Remington Park)
- Trees down 1700 block of Lincoln
- Silver City evacuated due to power loss (Sandwich South area)
- + hundreds of reports of trees and lines down, Citywide