OvercastNow
-2 °C
28 °F
OvercastThu
-1 °C
31 °F
Partly CloudyFri
1 °C
33 °F
Mostly CloudySat
-1 °C
30 °F
10
Send Us A News Tip

Tuesday August 10th, 2010

Posted at 1:29am

Print Friendly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6VkvnY1y0k[/youtube]

Windsor Fire & Rescue received a call for a working house fire in the 1800 block of Ford Boulevard at 10:22pm Monday night.

Engine 6 and Truck 6 arrived on the scene in moments to find the homeowner and his dog safely out front. They were only expecting a small bathroom fire, but they found the entire upper floor to be fully engulfed in flames and immediately upgraded the call. A total of 23 firefighters responded.

Heavy smoke and flames spewed from the second floor of the residence and firefighters wasted no time setting up ladders and an aerial ladder to gain better access to the second story blaze.

A portion of the roof was cut open by firefighters to aid the ventilation process. By about 11:10pm, the fire was finally put out.

One of the firefighters on scene was placed on a stretcher and taken by EMS to hospital for observation after feeling exhausted from the intense heat, according to Acting District Fire Chief Phil Boots.

Boots stated that the fire is believed to have been caused by a careless smoker, but they are still investigating. He estimates that the fire caused anywhere between $50 000 – $100 000 in damage.

The owner of the home was downstairs watching television with his dog when the fire started. He and his dog got out of the residence unscathed.

Do You Like This Article?